Gran had her surgery a week ago yesterday. She is recovering now in Houston. She should be discharged from the hospital soon and she will be headed to her apartment there with Pop and my mom. It has been a rough time for her. The surgery was painful and she has been through quite a bit. Her surgeon did not feel that he could proceed with the surgery as planned but was able to remove much of the cancer. She will be resuming her routine chemo as soon as she is healed. I know that she is very ready to get home and get some rest. I have been able to talk to her on the phone the last part of the week which was a huge blessing. It is so hard for me to be at my clinical site when she is so far away. I know that my Pop, mom and aunt have been taking great care of her (along with the excellent hospital staff) but I just wish I could be there some. I am looking forward to next weekend when she should be home and I will get to see her! I have been lonesome for her and have appreciated the prayers and kind words from so many of my dear friends.
Last week I was fortunate to be able to attend the American Physical Therapy Association meeting for the sections of PT (ortho, pediatrics, geriatrics, neuro.. etc) known as the Combined Sections Meeting. The meeting was in New Orleans. 9 students in my class were there are well as many students from the first and second year. UCA was also recognized for our recent accreditation of our pediatric residency program. More here. There are currently 6 credentialed pediatric residencies in the US. This is a great honor for our program. I enjoyed the conference and attended some great lectures on new pediatric diagnoses, wound care for patients with spinal cord injuries, rehabilitation for patients with strokes, etc. It was very inspiring. The therapists at the meeting (10,000 in all) are dedicated to our profession and want to progress our profession primarily to benefit our patients. I was very thankful for the opportunity to go. Dane never hesitates to support me as a professional (or wife or friend or whatever). I am very grateful for his love and encouragement.
I guess it is a sign that I am getting old because I could not sleep later than 7:30 this morning. Ouch! But it still earlier than my usual 5:45 (..more like 6:00 this week;) ). I have already started on laundry and organized my closet. I think it was the first time I have ever organized my closet (or maybe anything for that matter...).
No comments:
Post a Comment